Wednesday, August 10, 2011

COLLEGE FOOTBALL COUNTDOWN: Breaking News: TEXAS A&M to SEC

TEXAS A&M to SEC... All they wanna know is.... Who's comin' with them?!

This is kind of a follow-up to my post about College Football Conference Realignment, but this time it's real and it just might happen in the next few months!  Some sources even report some major changes possibly before the end of August!  Here's the link to the original conference realignment post.... http://raisedsoutherncatholic.blogspot.com/2011/07/southern-catholic-tackles-college.html

QUICK POST:  After listening to a popular SEC radio show on the way home today I discovered that instead of my pipe dreams of all kinds of heavy hitters and video game-esque customized conferences, the experts foresee a different scenario happening to the SEC.  Here's just a little of what I think about.

SEC WEST:

Texas A&M: aka "Home of the 12th Man" is pretty much a lock for joining the SEC West.  Now, looking back Texas A&M has always been kind of the Auburn of the state of Texas, kinda looking up toward the Longhorns for guidance.  I've never really heard anything bad out of them, but then again, never really heard anything good.  I couldn't tell you the last time they won a conference championship or National Championship.  But I'm pretty sure it was a while ago.

Another idea that comes to my head is that if A&M joins, all 3 of the teams Bear Bryant head coached will be in the same conference (if I missed one, I'm sorry, I normally wouldn't be so careless with Bear facts, but these are the main ones).

This doesn't excuse them from being sanctuary to Dennis Franchione after departing the Tide just as he was getting them back on track, thus igniting "The Shula Years".... There's a special place in Hell for you Coach Fran....right next to all those bobble heads.

OKLAHOMA, OKY STATE & MIZZOU:  These teams were also mentioned in the possible move to the SEC.  It is my personal opinion that a team in the Southeastern Conference should at least be in the Southeast.  The only one I could possibly see being anywhere geographically possible is MIZZOU & we already have VANDY.   So why do we need another cellar dweller?

It seems that the sudden urge to drop kick the Big 12 stems from Texas' TV deal with ESPN or something along these lines.  Whatever it is, it just doesn't seem like these OU, OSU and MIZZOU should be able to join the SEC just because Mack Brown & Co. are a little on the stingy side.

SEC EAST:  Here's the tricky part, please feel free to chime in on this portion of this post.  The SEC East would inevitably have to take on a few extra teams, directly proportionate to the number of teams the West took.  So who would it be?

Will they go with my picks of Georgia Tech (personal favorite) & Virginia Tech from my previous post (see link in first paragraph)?  Would you go with these or in a totally different direction?

Would they go with what everyone is pretty much saying and kind of hoping they will go with: Clemson and Florida State?  That wouldn't be a bad deal.  We'd have Clemson aka "Auburn with a lake" in the SEC East.  And Florida State is kind of a like a weird maroon version of LSU if you think about it.

I didn't have a lot of time to post.  But, since it seems like it's more real than just something to talk about until September 3rd I wanted to see what everyone else thought about this.

So if you've got an opinion, comment, different angle or just think this will never happen and is all a big rumor mill to get us through to kickoff, just let me know!! I'm on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Southern-Catholic/212886652095591 OR, you can just comment on here


No comments:

Post a Comment